This quick, adorable DIY craft brings our Blessed Mother into your home without the fuss of watering, dirt, and seasonal upkeep. Enjoy your indoor Mary garden all the year long!
Maybe where you live, little green shoots are starting to sprout through the dirt. Maybe you’re anticipating another few rounds of snowfalls. Maybe you have a big backyard with room for creative plantings. Maybe you live in the city with your own little balcony paradise. No matter what your weather or yard situation brings, you can start your own Mary garden—inside!
1. Gather your supplies. You can’t grow a garden without the seeds, right? Or, in this case, the right supplies. For your Mary garden, you’ll need the following:
• Glass container for the garden (I got mine from Michael's. I've seen them at Home Goods, too)
• Packet of gravel or decorative rocks (I got mine from the Dollar Store)
• Packet of artificial moss or grass (I got mine from Michael's)
• Faux flowers (I got mine from the Dollar Store)
• Any additional figures or decorations
For my garden, I found the supplies at Home Goods, Michael’s, and the Dollar Store. Don’t be afraid to get creative with the container!
2. Insert Mary Statue & Pour Gravel. Settle your Mary in and fill the base of your container with a layer of gravel or rocks to secure the statue.
3. Add some moss. Layer on the soft stuff! Add your moss or grass on top of the rocks or gravel, nestling the statue into a soft bed of greenery.
4. Pluck some faux flowers. Time to shine (or blossom)! Scatter artificial flowers or other greenery among the moss in celebration of Mary’s splendor and beauty.
5. Decorate the garden. Make it your own! The beautiful thing about Mary gardens is that every single one of them is different. Add in other figurines, or maybe even little animals, to enhance the beauty of your Mary garden.
6. Voila! You’re done! Place your miniature Mary garden in a place you’re sure to see every day (bonus points if she gets some sun!) and enjoy our Mother’s presence no matter what season flashes by the window outside.
CHALLENGE: Do this activity with your campus, homeschool group, Bible study, Mom Group, or Parish. I'm planning to bring this activity to my Parish in the Spring - we totally need more fellowship! It's a great way to celebrate Our Mother while building up the Church with meaningful friendships. Feel free to email me with any questions!
Side note: If you're having trouble finding a Mary statue to fit your needs or budget (if you're looking to purchase in bulk for a group project) you can grab a bunch of my "Hugs from Mama" vinyl stickers and glue a thin popsicle stick to the back for this project! It's a great, cost-effective way to incorporate Our Blessed Mother into the craft. Plus - how adorable & beautiful would she look in a kids' room?
LAST CHANCE Hugs from Mama Vinyl Sticker
Mama Mary waits for you with open arms. Place this dishwasher safe vinyl sticker on your water bottle, coffee mug, prayer journal, or anywhere that will remind you to call on the Blessed Mother. It makes a great Marian Consecration… Read More